[WEB4LIB] Re: Ampersands in database URLs problem

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Jun 9 13:44:46 EDT 2004

Drew, Bill wrote:

> We are getting HTML coding miexed up with URLs.  Keep them separate.  I
>test my pages on four different browsers: Lynx, Opera, Mozilla, and IE.
>It is impossible to validate links in the ways discussed here.  I do not
>consider the URL i find I must use for some resources as part of my code.

The original post was specifically about handling URLs within HTML
markup and validating the results.  Rather than keeping them separate,
the question was about how they interact.

I venture to guess that you're talking about a situation where you
extract links from HTML pages and run them through a link checker.  If
so, you're doing exactly what I mentioned as a problem before: switching
from one context  to another without translating the encoding scheme.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu