Ampersands in database URLs problem

Elizabeth A Reiten reitene at okstate.edu
Tue Jun 8 16:21:45 EDT 2004

Hi everyone!

I have what I suspect is a not-unusual problem, and was hoping someone had
some insight on the matter...

In my current site conversion, I'm attempting to validate all of my HTML
against the W3C's HTML Markup Validation Service (http://validator.w3.org).  I'm doing well on most things, but where I'm running into a snag is
with a few database vendors using ampersands in their URLs.  We don't
display our URLs; they're on the back side, but as I understand the
standards, ALL characters (or character encoding) need to match up with
the declared DOCTYPE, whether displayed or not.

Now, everybody seems to be using ampersands in their URLs these days; I
understand that it often is a consequence of database-driven sites.
However, I've been able to convert the "&" in a URL to "&" with no
access difficulties in all but a few cases; CSA, Chadwyck, SilverPlatter,
BiblioLine, and Knovel.  When I encode the ampersands in any of these
vendors' URLs, it actually blocks access to the database.

Has anyone else run into this type of problem?  If so, how did you resolve
it?  Or is it, as I was told by the CSA developer I talked to yesterday,
actually not a problem?  I thought I'd drop y'all a note to see if this is
a familiar situation to anyone.  I've also dug through the W3C's website,
but I haven't found anything yet.  I'll be posting to the forum this
afternoon, most likely.

Thanks in advance!

OSU is currently changing the campus e-mail system and my e-mail will be
extremely unreliable until at least the end of the summer.  If you have
sent a message which I did not respond to, please try to resend it.
Beth Reiten, Librarian
Digital Library Services
Edmon Low Library
Oklahoma State University