Microsoft (re-)recommends High security for IE

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Jun 15 09:40:19 EDT 2004

In the wake of another batch of IE security holes
(<http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5232993.html>), Microsoft has updated
IE security guidelines at
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/settings.mspx>.  They
recommend that users make their default security setting "High".

In my copy of IE6, the High security setting disables ActiveX controls,
Java, Meta Refresh, and JavaScript.  I mention this because I see
growing numbers of library pages and forms that are completely
unnavigable without at least one of these. So in addition to any
accessibility problems raised by these requirements, authors of these
pages are effectively driving away any IE users whose computers were set
up by someone concerned about security.

Yes, you can your local library in the lower-security set of trusted
sites, but you try explaining how and why to do that in 25 words or less
on your home page.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu