[WEB4LIB] Web Computer Lockdown

Jim Rible Rible at sou.edu
Wed Jul 28 15:58:36 EDT 2004

I use Group Policies AND Publc Web Browser from
http://teamsoftware.bizland.com/ because I couldn't find a way to
lock down IE to our library's particular satisfaction. You just alter
one INI file with 'trues" or "falses" and at $100 a year it is a
bargain.

Jim Rible, Systems Librarian
Hannon Library
Southern Oregon University
Ashland, Oregon 97520
rible at sou.edu
541/552-6821

>>> "Andrew I. Mutch" <amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us> 7/28/2004 9:37:45 AM

I've finally gotten around to using Group Policy to replacing our 3rd
party security in Windows 2000. I'm currently configuring a computer
for
Internet access relying strictly on a local GP to control and secure
the
Windows Interface. We need access to a couple of programs so I haven't
gone the route of running the browser as the shell.

There's a couple small items that I can't seem to find lockdowns to
address in Win2K. We allow access to our printers control panel so
when
you open that up, you can access the View and Help menus. These
provide
routes to various kinds of potential mischief. I'm looking for a
solution
that does one of the following:

1) Removes/disables the menu bar completely.

OR

2) Removes/disable access to the View and Help menus in Explorer

OR

3) Disables functionality of items in the View and Help menu to
effectively render them harmless.

I've seen some solutions that involve using ResHacker but I was hoping
didn't have to go there yet.

Thank you,

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician