[WEB4LIB] How to make PHP pages search engine friendly

Michael Whang michael.whang at wmich.edu
Fri Jul 30 16:34:56 EDT 2004

David,

Here at Western Michigan University, we use PHP and Postgresql for
creating dymamic subject guides (pathfinders) and Google indexes our
dynamic urls with % and &  just fine.

Try this google search:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=site%3Awmich.edu+subject+guide&btnG=Search

then click on the first link which should be MUSIC: BY SUBJECT -
WMU LIBRARIES

Is there a particular search engine you are customizing the search
feature for?

Best,
Michael

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow...
Learn as if you were to live forever."
Mahatma Ghandhi

========================
Michael Whang
Head, Web and Internet Services
Western Michigan University Libraries
1903 W. Michigan Ave.
Kalamazoo, MI  49008-5353
p: 269-387-5184
e: michael.whang at wmich.edu
=========================

>>> "David Moore" <mooredp at email.uah.edu> 7/30/2004 3:41:37 PM >>>
I am attempting to create some dynamically generated web pages
using PHP
(with an mySQL database in the backend) for our library research
guides,
etc, but I want to make them search engine friendly. It is my
understanding
that the url cannot have ? and & characters, but I need to replace
them with
slashes.

I have found a few web pages that explain how to do this using
$path_info, etc., but I'm not having much luck with it. I have PHP
loaded on
a Windows 2000 server.

Therefore I was wondering if anyone out there has already achieved
this and
if so, can you show me how you did it? Thanks!

David P. Moore
Electronic Resources/Business Librarian
M. Louis Salmon Library
University of Alabama in Huntsville