[WEB4LIB] Two steps forward, three steps back

Ryan Eby ryaneby at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 17:56:02 EST 2004

If it makes you feel any better, Innovative Millenium OPAC has the
same issues (at least the version I've used with my library). Keyword
searches are actually phrase searches, Titles must have the first word
(Display of Quantitative Information returns nothing while Visual
Display of Quantitative Information returns the title) among other
problems. The majority of the students and researchers that I've
talked to hate the system, specifically for these problems. The others
I think just presume the item doesn't exist. It's gotten in my way
enough times that I've been tempted to scrape the system into my own
database and built an interface for myself.

I see that more and more vendors are building XML servers for their
systems. Hopefully this will allow libraries to bypass their WebOPAC's
because it really is a disservice for users. If it was the only search
interface I ever used then I probably wouldn't complain, but because
it goes against the norms of pretty much everything out there I get
extremely frustrated. I sometimes use Google Scholar to bypass it if I
can. My friends check one or two databases and try to get good
citations before they every touch the catalog.

I'm sure there are good WebOPAC's out there, but the version I have to
use is definitely not one of them. Hope you library reconsiders. I
think this really ties in with the recent discussion about Google and
the problems for libraries. I know many users that turn away from the
catalog because it's so terrible.

Ryan Eby