[WEB4LIB] Re: Googlizers vs. Resistors

Genny Engel gengel at sonoma.lib.ca.us
Tue Dec 21 16:42:17 EST 2004

>>> "Leo Robert Klein" <leo at leoklein.com> 12/21/04 10:16AM >>>
Favorite quote (Richard Sweeney):
"...At my institution we took some 3600 theses and dissertations and
started adding them so that you could search the metadata through
Google.
We've gone from 50 uses a year to 500,000 in the first three yearsà.
It's
location, location, location. Where are the people? On Google. We're
going
to where the people are."
---------------------------

I believe in a combination of providing services through your own site
(where repeat customers will find them) and through other sites where
your non-customers hang out.  Good way to get new customers.  For this
reason I registered our wireless info not only in library-specific
places like our own website but also in jiwire.com ... because its
database gets picked up by Yahoo, AvantGo, etc.

Genny Engel
Internet Librarian
Sonoma County Library
gengel at sonoma.lib.ca.us