[WEB4LIB] Re: Google Print as the library's mission

Jennifer A. Heise jahb at lehigh.edu
Tue Dec 21 14:53:32 EST 2004

Hm.. This is interesting. This sounds very much like the first
discussions of digitizing, 10 years ago. And the issues are still with
us in commercial sites, and even, let's face it, in other libraries'
collections-- what if the cost of storage is too high, or a trustee is
offended, or our marketing-happy administrators decide to charge other
libraries for access?  Is merely having copies of the printed material
in the libraries available enough? What about the fact that the
sponsoring libraries will have copies of the digital item?

How do we deal with the below concerns in approaching a for-pay resource
like Lexis-Nexis Academic? When this first came out, our students
insisted on using LN for everything, no matter how inappropriate. Now we
have more balance. But when they get out into the big world, they
(didn't) have access to Lexis-Nexis; now they can buy for-pay
subscriptions to it.

Will the strategies we used to make people look beyond LN work for
getting people to look beyond Google Scholar? Will the "Find in your
Library" option bring students into our library resources that currently
stop at a generic Google, MSN, or Yahoo search?

-- Jenne