[WEB4LIB] use of DOIs in citing

Hammond, Tony T.Hammond at nature.com
Tue Dec 21 11:04:05 EST 2004

Hi Jennifer:

I don't know if this is of any help, but CrossRef have specific guidelines

	http://www.crossref.org/02publishers/15doi_guidelines.html

About 2/3 of the way down there is a section on 'Use and Display of DOIs':

###
DOIs do not replace traditional bibliographical citations but are a very
useful addition, especially if articles are published online with volume,
issue, and page numbers. For example, in the CrossRef application, a
citation of the Science article with a DOI would be:

Kornack, D. Rakic, P. (2001). Cell Proliferation Without Neurogenesis in
Adult Primate Neocortex. Science. 294 (5549), 2127-2130,
doi:10.1126/science.1065467.
A citation to a Nature article published in the Advanced Online Publication
process without volume, issue or page number would be:

"Cell Biology: A cat cloned by nuclear transplantation" Nature AOP,
Published Online: 14 February 2002, doi:10.1038/nature723.
###

Note that CrossRef practice - as exemplified by many online and print
journal articles - is to cite DOIs in regular URI form (i.e. lowercase,
colon, no space - doi:10...).

This info is also repeated in the DOI Handbook from the International DOI
Foundation, see

	http://www.doi.org/handbook_2000/enumeration.html#2.6

Cheers,

Tony

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. If you have received this e-mail in error please inform the sender and delete it from your mailbox or any other storage mechanism. Neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents accept liability for any statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not expressly made on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or one of its agents. Please note that neither Macmillan Publishers Limited nor any of its agents accept any responsibility for viruses that may be contained in this e-mail or its attachments and it is your responsibility to scan the e-mail and attachments (if any). No contracts may be concluded on behalf of Macmillan Publishers Limited or its agents by means of e-mail communication. Macmillan Publishers Limited Registered in England and Wales with registered number 785998 Registered Office Brunel Road, Houndmills, Basingstoke RG21 6XS