[WEB4LIB] Re: Security Summary for 2004: The year of phishing,

lists at lisnews.com lists at lisnews.com
Thu Dec 16 11:14:27 EST 2004

ME:
>>"Current email systems are in serious trouble. I'm afraid we need to do a
>>major overhaul of the underlying email standards in the near future...

TD:
> Last I heard, the Sender ID standard was on track to see some use, but
> its license terms for a Microsoft patent just about made open source
> implementations impossible.  Any experts have current info on that?

last I read on that, was on slashdot:
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/10/26/0426208&tid=111&tid=109&tid=95&tid=1

According to a Reuters story, it has been revised and will be resubmitted
to the IETF. AOL has endorsed it as well.

So, it, or domainkeys, or SPF, or TMDA, RBLs, or some combination of all
the above, or something new, plus legal action may help us. Sadly, I too
am afraid we need to do a major overhaul of the underlying email
standards.

I'm slowing rolling as much as I can into the Qmail on my servers, and it
does make a difference. spamassassin and the Bayes programs also do a
decent job, but can be very hard on servers.

-Blake