[WEB4LIB] SRW/U for DSpace

Edward Spodick lbspodic at ust.hk
Tue Dec 14 02:13:14 EST 2004

At 7:43 AM -0800 24/11/2004, Ross Singer wrote:
>Does anybody use this:
>http://www.oclc.org/research/software/srw/default.htm
>SRW/U interface on their DSpace repository?

Well, we have got it working for ours:
Repository:  http://repository.ust.hk/
SRW interface: http://repository.ust.hk/SRW/

>Any report on how well it works/how easy it is to get running?  Are you
>using it in production?

One of my colleagues set it up.  he did not have too much trouble with it, but he had already dealt with whatever arcana it has on a previous project, so ymmv.

I can tell yuou that it does not work out of the box with all browsers (e.g. Safari on Mac OS 10.3).

The SRW interface is currently being explored by us, and is not being used for any current production efforts.

>I'm very interested in using it to search our repository from a
>federated search interface.

We still need to do some exploring to see differences.  We did find some differences in the two instances handling of html entities, etc.  And some quirks in Chinese handling.

Feel free to go look and play.

-Spode

--
Edward F Spodick, Information Technology Manager
Hong Kong University of Science & Technology Library