[WEB4LIB] RE: Open WorldCat Pilot: A User's Perspective

Teets,Mike teetsm at oclc.org
Thu Dec 2 13:23:49 EST 2004

Open WorldCat is a work in progress.  We launched the project almost one
year ago with a simple goal -- to help libraries make their collections
visible and available at the point of need on the open Web.  Since that
time, we've made a number of enhancements, some planned and others in
response to requests from the membership/library community.

Some recent developments:

-  A few weeks ago, we posted the entire Worldcat collection of 57
million records for harvesting by the search engines. (Before then, only
2 million records were available for harvest.) Additional records will
begin appearing as the search engines incorporate them into their
systems.

-  Earlier in November, we added hot linked subject headings that users
can follow to view a list of all items with the same subject heading in
Open WorldCat, in order to facilitate subject access to WorldCat.

-  In December and January we will begin adding features to address the
issue addressed in the post below regarding grouping holdings for
multiple iterations/versions of an item.  These features will include
the ability to retrieve and see holdings for other items with the same
author & title and, possibly, hot-linked author and titles.  We are also
thinking about applications of XISBN, which returns a list of associated
ISBNs for a given ISBN, and the FRBR algorithm for reducing duplicate
records.

- In the next few weeks, we will be providing a section of the Open
Worldcat informational page featuring user contributed "cool tools"
based on Open Worldcat.  It will be at the same location
http://www.oclc.org/worldcat/open/default.htm

-  On an ongoing basis, we are talking regularly with potential new
partners for Open WorldCat and are actively building our directories of
OPAC and OpenURL links, in an effort to improve the likelihood that user
who encounters Open WorldCat will be able to get to a local libraries
catalog or OpenURL resolver for service. (Any OCLC member library can
update their links at https://www3.oclc.org/app/openwc/ )  We are also
doing some manual creation of these links as time allows.

This has been a very interesting project for us at OCLC.  We hope that
it is providing the community with a valuable service, and that it is
also serving as a catalyst for further exploration of the huge potential
for collaboration that we believe exists between libraries and open Web
information sites.  We are very happy to see the interest the project
has generated, through discussion like this one, comments from users,
and the rapid growth in activity we've seen over the past few months.
Libraries obviously have a central role to play in public access to
information, and it is our job to help in any way that we can.

Chip Nilges, nilgesc at oclc.org
Executive Director, WorldCat Content & Global Access

Mike Teets, teetsm at oclc.org
Executive Director, Product Architecture and Development