Ejournals and subjects

Eileen Lutzow elutzow at csuniv.edu
Wed Dec 1 12:29:54 EST 2004

Larry,

We use Serials Solutions to manage our ejournals, and their service
includes subject browsing based on "nearly 700 subject headings from
Ulrich's Periodicals Directory"  (to borrow the marketing from their webpage
 http://www.serialssolutions.com/sb_home.asp)  If you want to look, our
Serials Solutions search page is at
http://vg2ha6lg5r.search.serialssolutions.com/

I looked at our Serials Solutions usage stats for 9/1/04 thru 11/30/04.  Of
the 5,639 total searches of the ejournal title list, 908 (16%) used Browse by
Subject.  In comparison 2,721 (48%) used Title Begins With, and 1,515
(27%) used Browse by Alpha.  Those percentages are comparable for the
year as well, with 18% using Browse by Subject for Jan thru Nov 2004.

We aren't a large library, and 16-18% isn't the predominant chunk of our
relatively small usage, but obviously a sizable group of our students,
faculty, and staff find subject browsing of ejournal titles useful.  When the
librarians here teach classes, we usually demo how to search the Serials
Solutions list using Title Begins With, but we generally don't demo the other
search options.  So the folks who are using Browse by Subject are
discovering and using it on their own.

Eileen Lutzow
Charleston Southern University Library