[WEB4LIB] Re: Forcing a click-thru legal agreement (no robots,

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Dec 1 10:03:45 EST 2004

The issue is with legitimate patrons using a robot to harvest eJournal
articles wholesale.  We have encountered this problem and in some cases it
has been severe enough for a vendor to block temporarily all access
coming from one of our networks.  In all cases, we have been able
to correct the problem by explaining to people that this behavior violates
our license agreement with the vendor.  So from our experience it seems
that raising patron awareness of licensing issues is the way to go.

Chris Gray
Library Systems
University of Waterloo