[WEB4LIB] Re: Library Websites that use

Jennifer Ward jlward1 at u.washington.edu
Fri Dec 10 13:17:06 EST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, K.G. Schneider wrote:

:I dimly recall reading, almost a decade ago, that one issue with icons is
:forcing the user to translate from the picture to what it means--not unlike
:when libraries use all kinds of colored dots on books which require patrons
:to refer back to lists to translate what those dots mean.

I think that was part of the problem with our use of icons. It made plenty
of sense to us that a lock indicated it was restricted, the globe was open
access, the cd-rom was cd-rom on campus, etc. Again, it is forcing users
to first understand our wacky concepts, then to map those concepts to an
icon. I can see where letters for mail or a printer for printing would
work well, because those are concepts that they encounter on most, if not
all, sites they frequently use.

--Jennifer

Jennifer Ward
Head, Web Services