[WEB4LIB] Re: Library Websites that use

Ryan Eby ryaneby at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 11:08:07 EST 2004

Well you could associate a style with your feed so that browsers will
display something nicer. Not all browsers will support it though most
newer ones will. An example is here: http://www.mezzoblue.com/rss/2.0/

The problem of getting garbage will happen to those who don't
understand RSS no matter what way you advertise it. As for the matter
of icon use, there is a lot of conflicting views out there. I
personally like it when people include a pdf icon to the end of links
that go to a pdf file. I suppose a (pdf) like google uses would be
just as useful. Right now you just have to judge what your users are
going to be familiar with. Are they going to know what that printer
icon means? Probably more than the message icon. Most people who use a
computer are aware of what an error looks like (from dialogs) and
using a warning symbol to highlight the problem area may be helpful.
This is more of an addition to using color as using color alone is an
accessibility issue.

Here's an example of something that uses both the icon and the text
after it. The text alone would probably be sufficient but having the
icon can really speed up the scanning process (for me at least):
http://www.basecamphq.com/tour-messages.php

On a related note, the AIGA symbols are available free on the web for
download in decent quality. These include things like the information
symbol and first aid station, etc. Some may be useful for those doing
projects or signs:

http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm?ContentAlias=symbolsigns