Steven Turner steveua at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 13:44:19 EST 2004

Bill, check out the "ISO/IEC 11581: Icon symbols and
functions" standard - it's part of a collection of
international HCI and WWW usability standards. While
this won't answer the question you posed, you might
still find it intereting and/or helpful.

In fact, a nice collection of the above (various ISO,
etc. WWW usability standards) can be found on Jakob
Nielson's site here :

<http://www.usabilitynet.org/tools/r_international.htm#11581>

Nielson also has, on his site useit.com, a nice case
study of developing usable icon design for Sun's web
presence back in 95 - 96...old, but interesting, and
the design and testing process is still vaild.

<http://www.useit.com/papers/sun/icons.html>

Steve Turner

--- "H. Frank Cervone" <f-cervone at northwestern.edu>
wrote:

> In the late '90's, an IFLA committee developed a set
> of standard icons for
> use with bibliographic database applications. The
> set is free of copyright
> and available for use by application developers and
> publishers.
>
> Although this standard has not been adopted widely,
> the standard is still
> advocated by IFLA. More information on the "
>
> Bibliographic Standard GUI Icon Set"
>
> is available
>
> at
>
> http://www.scran.ac.uk/iconstd/
>
> Frank Cervone
> Assistant University Librarian for Information
> Technology
> Northwestern University
> 1970 Campus Drive
> Evanston, IL 60208-2300
> 847.491.8304
>
> At 03:59 PM 12/14/2004, Drew, Bill wrote:
> >I really question the use of icons since there is
> no agreed upon
> >standard for what represents a catalog or what
> represents a subject
> >guide.  There is no standard set.  I have yet to
> see a really good set
> >of icons that helps navigation better than clear
> simple text. Convince
> >me I'm wrong.
> >
> >Bill Drew
> >drewwe at morrisville.edu

=====
Steven Turner, M.L.I.S.
Assistant Professor
Web Manager / Electronic Resources Librarian
The University of Southern Mississippi
email: Steven.Turner at usm.edu / Phone: (601)266-4066