[WEB4LIB] printing problems with web pages

Dan Lester dlester at boisestate.edu
Thu Dec 9 11:00:37 EST 2004

>>> "Elliott, Lynn" <lelliott at nwrls.lib.fl.us> 12/9/2004 8:23:42 AM >>>
Has anyone noticed margin problems when printing web pages lately? We
=
have had numerous instances where patrons attempt to print web pages
and =
the margins are not fitting on 8-1/2 X11 page. Is this due to web
design =
not being print-friendly? What can be done on our end to help our =
patrons? =20

All too many websites are designed by what I consider to be print
designers, who want to force a particular font size, look, feel, layout,
etc.  This is fine for print, but doesn't translate well to the web.
This often gives problems when printing.

Our solutions are:
1. Teach users to block the text they want to print, and then print
that, rather than the whole page with allt he borders, menus, ads, and
so forth.
2. Teach users to change the print settings to landscape mode.
However, some are designed so badly that they won't print completely
even in landscape.

I suppose you could yell at the designers of the sites, but doubt it
would do any good, at least if they were outside of your city or campus,
and even then would probably fail.

Good luck with the patron education, as it is an eternal task.

dan

Dan Lester
Network Information Coordinator
Boise State University