Open WorldCat Pilot: A User's Perspective

Laura Cohen LCohen at uamail.albany.edu
Fri Dec 3 10:32:35 EST 2004

Chip and Mike:

Interesting posting. This leads me to a couple of questions about the
financial side of things.

1. Now that you've begun the process of handing over WorldCat to successful
businesses that will provide free access to its contents, when will OCLC
stop charging libraries (who of course provide this content) for access to
WorldCat through FirstSearch?

2. What, if any, financial gain is OCLC receiving from its partnership with
Google, Yahoo and other partners? This would be of interest to those of us
following open access scholarship.

Laura B. Cohen
Library Web Administrator
LI-140 University at Albany
Albany, NY 12222
Tel:  (518) 442-3492  Fax: (518) 442-3567