[WEB4LIB] Re: NPR Commentary About WIKIs

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Wed Aug 18 17:36:51 EDT 2004

Alain D. M. G. Vaillancourt wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I would like to amend your comment on Wikipedia.
>
> I would say that it has a surprisingly big number of accurate articles
> but I would certainly not say that as a whole it is surprisingly
> accurate.  Most of the articles are stubs:  Too short or even tiny to
> be considered accurate or not. Many of the big or medium sized articles
> are wildly inaccurate.

I've written several negative reviews of Wikipedia on my blog, but I'd
have to say that, overall, Wikipedia is a very useful and exciting
project. In recent months I've been copying Wikipedia content over to
several wikis on my website (in order to seed the database) and I've
been impressed with the overall quality and depth of Wikipedia.

On the other hand, as Alain points out, Wikipedia has credibility
problems, mostly when it comes to controversial articles. The entry on
"anarchism" is pretty good for the most part, but a small group of
so-called "anarcho-capitalists" (an oxymoron) have been rewriting the
entry to normalize their ideology as having been part of anarchism and
anarchist history. Ironically, this is an example of why Wikipedia needs
some kind of "authority" mechanism, perhaps a clutch of benevolent Linus
Torvalds to step in and make decisions. The anarcho-capitalists trying
to graft their nonsense onto the "anarchism" entry is like the
Scientologists trying to rewrite the entry on "Catholicism" to make it
appear that L Ron Hubbard was a pope at one time.

I found another problem yesterday with the entry on "Rachel Corrie," the
American activist woman who was killed by a bulldozer last year in
Palestine. The entry had a surprisingly neutral pint of view, for the
most part, but as one person pointed out, the entry was dominated by the
debate about the circumstances of her death.

But Wikipedia offers a suprisingly amount of depth and quality
information that can't be found as easily elsewhere online.

Chuck Munson
Webmaster and Librarian, Infoshop.org
http://www.infoshop.org
Blog: http://chuck.mahost.org/weblog/