[WEB4LIB] RE: Patrons causing problems with online gaming

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue Aug 10 10:13:55 EDT 2004

Melanie,

As I noted in a previous post, we've found that having these computers
segregated for just word processing use results in very low levels of use
compared to our Internet computers. On the other hand, we've had dedicated word
processing computers for years so our patrons do have an expectation that these
computers will be available for that use.

Many of our patrons working on resumes and other "word processing" projects do
want and need Internet access. The way that we handled this was by adding Word
to all of our Internet computers. This allows them to work on their resume and
have Internet access at the same time. The patrons who want this access do have
to wait their turn for our Internet computers which sometimes means they have to
wait for a computer to open up. Also, sometimes they need more time than the
volumes of traffic will allow on our Internet computers. In those cases, we
encourage them to do their work on the word processing computers until they
reach the point they actually need Internet access.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI