[WEB4LIB] "new" version of IE in XP Service Pack 2

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Fri Aug 6 08:10:32 EDT 2004

Vicki Falkland wrote:

>one thing made me smile in regard to blocking popups: "Internet Explorer
>will attempt to block any window opened automatically from script, with the
>exception of createPopup()" ...
>eh?? that's almost an oxymoron, or just perverse?

AFAICT, this proprietary, Microsoft-only method creates something more
like a tooltip within the current window, rather than what everyone else
in the world would call a pop-up.

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/createpopup.asp>
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/objects/popup.asp>
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/samples/author/dhtml/popup/usingpopup.htm>

Another good way to mess up the browser interface your users already
know, and to say "Up Yours" to anyone who would dare use a non-IE
browser on your site.  (Oh, and let's talk about MS's own recommendation
to surf with scripting turned off...)

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu