IE6's whacky submit buttons

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Tue Aug 3 16:52:39 EDT 2004

Web4Libbers--

I've been vaguely bothered by this for quite a while, but it has become
more of an issue in a design I'm working on.

In IE6 (or at least, IE6 under XP), form submit buttons start to look
very strange if the input's value attribute exceeds some mysterious
length.  That is, for something like '<input type="submit"
value="Search">' you get the nicely rounded and shaded 3D button from
the standard XP widgets.  But beyond some length, I get a crudely
magnified button, as though someone loaded the nice native button into a
cheap image editor and resized it, complete with serious jaggies.  My
copies of Mozilla 1.7 and Firefox 0.9 manage to use the native button
without this problem (Mozilla is a better integrated Windows app than
IE?).  Opera's "Native Windows" skin also has no problems.

You can see examples of submit buttons ranging from sensible to silly at
<http://www.ohiolink.edu/~tdowling/foo.html> along with a screenshot of
what this can look like on my machine.  I may see this more often than
some people because I have an unusually high screen resolution, but I do
see it with longer submit buttons on colleagues' PCs.

I haven't been able to find anything on this problem; does anyone on the
list know about it?  With CSS applied, I can make IE render a reasonable
button, but for reasons of both usability and aesthetics, I'd like to
stay with the native button.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu