[WEB4LIB] RE: "Style" guides

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Mon Aug 16 14:44:50 EDT 2004

> This might be helpful
> http://macfadden.mit.edu/webgroup/guidelines/index.html
>

> Ian Chan
> Seattle Central Community College Library
> http://dept.sccd.ctc.edu/cclib/

Last week I was razzed for using the term "virgule" (though it was directed
in-house, so geeze!) so I feel free to take a little poke at the usage guide
available several links away at:

http://macfadden.mit.edu:9500/publications/housestyle.html

"Aeronautics and Astronautics USE short form: 'Aero/Astro' rather than
'Aero-Astro'"

Fain would I yield to local convention, but a v-- I mean, forward slash
thingy means "or," not "and."

But that aside (and not withstanding a period outside of a comma), I thought
this was very useful for Web writing:

http://macfadden.mit.edu/webgroup/writing/index.html

I particularly enjoyed:

http://macfadden.mit.edu/webgroup/writing/examples2/fragments.html

Once upon a time, as a second lieutenant, I worked with a chief whose
formative years had included communicating via brief teletype messages. He
insisted that we write most of our correspondence that way. He even *spoke*
that way. Life by Morse code... even stranger than life by Boolean!

K.G. (has been waiting for years to use "fain") Schneider
kgs at bluehighways.com