[WEB4LIB] RE: Testimony re: flash pens

Chris Murphy chrism at thecommunitylibrary.org
Mon Aug 30 16:05:41 EDT 2004

Susan Glickman wrote:
> I have a question about the flash drives for those of you in public
> libraries...are you allowing your patrons to use them on your public access
> computers? What are you doing about security and viruses?

We have allowed USB access on our public computers for ca. 2 years
without problems--flash/pen/key/stick drives, cameras, etc. Security has
not been a problem due to our antivirus, software to prevent permanent
changes to the hard drive (Deep Freeze), and Windows group policies
enforcing network restrictions and a whitelist of executables.

In fact, patrons who use these devices have made my life easier. No
issues with floppies gone bad, no issues with moving files between our
PCs and laptops (even Macs), and easy transfer of big files.

The only problems have been those devices, mostly cameras, needing
software installed. For those cases, I have a stand alone PC with Deep
Freeze available for people to put on whatever they want.

Regards,

Chris Murphy

--
Christopher Murphy