[WEB4LIB] RE: Testimony re: flash pens

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon Aug 30 13:11:06 EDT 2004

Monday, August 30, 2004, 10:48:22 AM, you wrote:

SG> I have a question about the flash drives for those of you in public
SG> libraries...are you allowing your patrons to use them on your public access
SG> computers? What are you doing about security and viruses?

Our university library, which has internet computers available to
anyone without logging in, disables all USB connectivity on those
computers.

We're reconsidering this policy due to demand from students, but so
far that demand hasn't reached critical mass, so we "computer guys"
are stalling until we're forced into it.  Actually, that demand may go
away as more and more students get laptops, which they can connect to
the net via wired or wireless connections in our building. Those
connections do require authentication.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan at RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA