Web Feeds for Enhanced Governmental Information Services

Gerry Mckiernan gerrymck at iastate.edu
Thu Aug 26 16:03:22 EDT 2004

Colleagues/

Once again I seek the Wisdom of the Web for recommendations of
governmental information services that do/could/would benefit from the
addition of general or specific Web feeds (e.g., RSS, Atom, etc.).

For examples of libraries that offer enhanced services, please see
_RSS(sm): Rich Site Services_, one of my latest registries available
at [ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/RSS.htm ]

"_RSS(sm): Rich Site Services_ is a categorized registry of library
services that are delivered or provided through RSS/XML, Atom, or other
types of Web feeds. RSS is an initialism for RDF Site Summary / Rich
Site Summary / Really Simple Syndication. In general, for each entry,
the home institution library is listed, as is a hotlinked entry for the
item. When available, a link to the  feed, or an associated information
page, is provided."

For those new to Web Feeds, please See and Read Any and All items of
potential interest the RSS(sm) General Bibliography
at   [ http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/GenBib.htm ]

I am particularly interested in the *specific* information services
offered by the following federal entities that might benefit from a
WebFeed MakeOver [:-) :

Library of Congress

National Agricultural Library

National Library of Education

Defense Technical Information Center

Air Force ,Army, Navy

Executive Office of the President

Governmental Printing Office (GPO)

National Aeronautics and Space Administration  (NASA)

National Archives and Records Administration  (NARA)

National Science Foundation  (NSF)

National Technical Information Service (NTIS)

Office of Scientific and Technical Information  (OSTI) (Department of
Energy)

Smithsonian Institution

U.S. Information Agency

BTW: I am aware of the Most Excellent registry edited by Ray Mathews
called _RSS in Government_ at

[ http://www.rssgov.com/ ]

Thanks in Advance!!!

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Enhanced  Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a
revolutionary act."

--- George Orwell [Eric Arthur Blair] (1903-1950) British author