[WEB4LIB] Librarian: Don't use Wikipedia as source

D.H. Mattison dmattison at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 25 23:14:00 EDT 2004

I think the point many people are missing about wiki, especially comments
such as "a wiki is probably not appropriate for scholarly communication," is
best answered by the observation that banks are probably not appropriate for
keeping money and valuables because they get robbed, which is why many banks
and wikis have gatekeeping and security protocols in place to keep the
valuable cash and data from being tampered with. But, in their purest form,
wikis maintain an open door policy, which is totally unlike any bank, so the
metaphor breaks down at that point. It's the very nature, however, of this
ideal type of wiki that makes some of us nervous and thrills others for
various reasons, not all of them socially acceptable.

I think a wiki is highly appropriate for scholarly communication if all the
scholars trust one another and are collaborating on a text or whatever, and
security and rollback mechanisms are in place. To put some perspective on a
collaborative intellectual property like a book or article as compared to
wiki content: when you read a collaborative or jointly written article or
book, including fiction, do you even know who wrote what? No, in nearly
every case, you don't. You put your trust in the authorial expertise,
editorial control, or other individuals' opinions when selecting something
to read for yourself or others. Normally you don't even think about who
wrote what or what method was used to achieve the final product.

Wikis are just another tool in what I, borrowing from others, call the
Collaborative Web: technology and applications that let individuals work
together or independently directly through the Web browser without a
gatekeeper (e.g., a Webmaster) standing in the way.

The question of whether what emerges from that collaboration is
authoritative or scholarly depends on other factors often above and beyond
the collaborative process itself.

David Mattison
Victoria, BC, Canada
dmattison at shaw.ca