Don't use Wikipedia as source

Julie Quetel quetel at uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 25 14:44:43 EDT 2004

Wikipedia, like ALL sites and sources, should be evaluated as to
source, context, editorial process etc. I probably wouldn't cite
it as an authoritative source but it serves as an excellent
source of possible ways to expand a search on a topic I may or
may not be familiar with, particularly as an inexperienced
searcher. As a teaching tool it also provokes discussion on
critical evaluation of internet sources.

(First post to this list, feedback on whether this was properly
addressed etc welcome)

Julie Quetel
University of Illinois
Graduate School of Information & Library Science