[WEB4LIB] Re: Top 5 PERL Wiki Engines?

William Denton buff at pobox.com
Tue Aug 24 13:54:30 EDT 2004

On 24 August 2004, K.G. Schneider wrote:

: Er, no, a quick check (in Google, I searched with define: perl) reveals
: it is "Perl,"  a proper noun derived from an acronym (Practical
: Extraction and Research Language).

Perl the language is just "Perl."  Any acronyms were made up after the
name.  See "What is the difference between Perl and perl?" in the Perl
FAQ at

	http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.6/pod/perlfaq1.html

| One bit. Oh, you weren't talking ASCII? :-) Larry now uses "Perl" to
| signify the language proper and "perl" the implementation of it, i.e.
| the current interpreter. Hence Tom's quip that "Nothing but perl can
| parse Perl." You may or may not choose to follow this usage. For
| example, parallelism means "awk and perl" and "Python and Perl" look OK,
| while "awk and Perl" and "Python and perl" do not. But never write
| "PERL", because perl isn't really an acronym, apocryphal folklore and
| post-facto expansions notwithstanding.

Bill