[WEB4LIB] RE: Opera 7.0 released

Ian Winship ian.winship at unn.ac.uk
Fri Jan 31 04:49:44 EST 2003

> From: Thomas Bennett [mailto:bennetttm at appstate.edu]

> Opera 7.0 for Windows does the same except the choice for IE
> is only 6.0 now.  I've found these id choices useful for accessing my
> credit union site and sharebuilder.com.  When id is set to Opera one or
both
> these sites give you a page indicating that you need NSN or IE in certain
> versions.  When I reset the id to Moz or IE I get into the site and in the
past
> have been able to use all features of the site.

Changing the ID sometimes can help, but generally I find it doesn't. Opera
offering IE6 in this version hasn't made any difference on the sites I've
looked at.

Oh, and by 'Maybe one day?' I meant the second of Thomas's interpretations -
not designing pages/sites for particular browsers. That doesn't seem likely
at the moment. Perhaps it needs some corporate uptake of Opera to generate
enough of a user base first.

Ian Winship, Electronic Services Manager
Learning Resources, Northumbria University
City Campus Library, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 8ST
email: ian.winship at unn.ac.uk
tel: 0191 227 4150  fax: 0191 227 4563