[WEB4LIB] Re: Redirecting a website

Scritchfield, Larry LScritch at MAIL.co.washoe.nv.us
Wed Jan 29 17:54:16 EST 2003

Patricia,

I am sorry if I sounded curt or critical. The question was about how to
redirect the entire domain to a different domain. It seemed easiest to
accomplish that at the server level, rather than on a page-by-page basis.

Molly also wanted seamless redirect, without users having to read a "click
here to continue" message. Using a delay does keep the back button
functional, though.

You are right, not everyone has root access to their server. I thought that
Molly in particular might not have root access (as a volunteer) so I let her
know that's what she'd need. Hopefully everyone has access to SOMEONE with
root access!

I'm in the midst of a redesign myself, and I'll be using meta redirects with
delay to redirect specific pages -- as opposed to redirecting the entire
domain.

The method of doing redirects varies according to the server software, so
it's not easy to give examples. (And never mind that abstruse W3C RFC! It
seems to be aimed at authors of user agents aka browsers.) Apache in
particular has lots of ways to redirect or do URL rewriting. So many that it
can be a black art involving regular expressions and so on.

Larry Scritchfield
lscritch at mail.co.washoe.nv.us
Internet Services Librarian                             (775) 327-8349
Washoe County Library System                      www.washoe.lib.nv.us