[WEB4LIB] Embarrassed plea for Dreamweaver help -- Solution

Elizabeth A Reiten/lib/Okstate reitene at okstate.edu
Wed Jan 15 17:15:20 EST 2003

Rather than leave any loose ends to dangle in the archives, here's the
message I've sent to the numerous kind folks who offered this fool some
assistance ;-)

Thank you again for your help -- this is one of the most generous lists
I've ever been on when it comes to people being willing to offer their
time and expertise.
Beth

*****

Of course, in the classic manner of things, I discovered the answer to my
problem within minutes of sending out my SOS... <extremely sheepish grin>

Here's what happened:

I'm creating a webpage (currently living at http://www.library.okstate.edu/dls/osu/osu.htm) that has 6 layers stacked on top of each other (right-hand side of box),
and I want one layer to come forward when I mouse-over the appropriate
link on the left-hand side of the box.  Well, I could get the initial
layer to appear originally, and I could get it to disappear when I set up
the appropriate Show-Hide Layers behavior on another one of the links, but
I couldn't then get the correct layer to replace the original one -- the
area would just stay blank.

I've spent the last two days working on this and digging through the
Macromedia Support area trying to find some assistance.  Nothing.  So I
emailed Web4Lib.  After doing that, I turned back around to my laptop and
started digging through the Support webpages again.  In desperation, I
went back and reread every Technote that even mentioned layers.  Ta Da!
Technote 12715 (http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/ts/documents/javascript_layer_names.htm) answered my question: some of my layer names duplicated my image names,
and that apparently killed the behavior.  So, change the layer names to
something unique, and it's all working like a charm now.

I'm not sure which I'm more embarrassed about right now: having the answer
be this obvious, finding the answer *immediately* after asking for help,
or having so many folks offer their assistance which is now not needed.

Beth Reiten, Librarian
Digital Library Services
Edmon Low Library
Oklahoma State University