raising open windows to the foreground

Walter Giesbrecht walterg at yorku.ca
Thu Jan 23 00:03:49 EST 2003

I'm trying to figure out how to do something that is easy to
show, but hard (for me, at least) to explain clearly. What I want
to do is something like this:

A link in a document in browser window 'A' opens page '1' in a
new window 'B', which remains open. Later on, a link to page '1'
appears again in window 'A'. Can the user simply be transferred
to the still-open document in window 'B' (i.e., by having it
brought to the foreground) without having to load it again?

The reason for not wanting to load it again involves not wanting
to type in a username and password again; the method described by
the vendor of the database to pass along the username/password in
the URL deosn't seem to work. Any ideas?

Walter Giesbrecht                               walterg at yorku.ca
Data Librarian
York University, Toronto, CANADA