Re: [WEB4LIB] electronic collections

Charles Yates ceyates at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 22 17:04:09 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 09:13, Pons, Lisa (PONSLM) wrote:

> What are others doing?
>
> Are you pulling this info from your libraries catalog? Who is
maintaing all
> these url's etc...

     We are making a major effort to use the information in our catalog
to provide content for our website.  We have achieved this with our
electronic journal pages (http://lane.stanford.edu/online/ej.html) and
hope to do more in the future.  The capacity to do this takes a fair
amount of development resources up front, resources that our library is
fortunate to have, but once in place makes further efforts a lot
simpler.  For example it has taken just a couple of days to come up with
a soon to be implemented ejournal subject list
(http://laneweb.stanford.edu:8080/laneweb/online/ejsubject.html)  (this
page is dynamically generated so its kinda slow at the moment)
    To do this we are using the Cocoon XML publishing framework
(http://xml.apache.org/cocoon) to create the web pages and marc4j
(http://marc4j.tigirs.org/) to get data from our catalog marc records as
XML.

Charles Yates