[WEB4LIB] formatting paragraphs in output when using Frontpage.

Araby Greene araby at unr.edu
Mon Jan 20 13:17:48 EST 2003

To preserve line breaks in a FrontPage 2000/2002 Discussion, edit the HTML
code in the disc1_post.htm file (substitute your discussion name for "disc1"
in file name). BTW, FP 2002 does preserve paragraph breaks in the Comments
field, but not line breaks.

Find the line that includes:
<!-- webbot bot="Discussion"
in this line, change:
s-article-format="HTML/BR" (in FP2002, or "HTML" (?) in FP2000)
to read
s-article-format="HTML/PRE"

New comments from this point on should be preformatted with line breaks. If
you want to change the font used in the PRE tag, go to the MS Knowledge Base
article Q328495:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;328495

I haven't used the Discussion bot for a long time but tried this method on a
test web and it did work. The confirmation page did not display the breaks
properly, but it accesses the innards of the FPweb (_vti_bin/shtml.dll) and is
not directly editable. The Knowledge base article also tells you how to change
the font used for the PRE tag, which is applied to the entire post.

-araby

Araby Greene
Web Development Librarian
Getchell Library/322