Wikis in the library world?

D.H. Mattison dmattison at shaw.ca
Fri Jan 10 00:45:29 EST 2003

January 9, 2003

Hello Web4Lib Readers,

I sent this message to a few listservs last week, so for those of you have
read it and have no interest in this topic, please delete it or forward it
to someone you think might wish to help.

I'd like to here from anyone on the list who's using, contemplating using,
or has no use for a wiki.

Ok, if you're like me and were only paying attention half the time to Web
developments over the past decade, a wiki is a collaborative Web site. It's
kind of like a group blog except it's infinitely more adaptable and does
not lock you into a temporal mode.

I'm writing an article for Searcher magazine
(http://www.infotoday.com/searcher) about wikis and have set one up for
anyone to try. Registration is required in order to edit the pages that are
not locked.

You'll find the Searchers' Swiki at http://searchers.swiki.net

Unless you're familiar with Swiki editing conventions--they differ from the
standard wiki, please read the Help sections and practice in the Sandbox
before attempting to add or edit pages.

I'll look forward to your comments and contributions!

David Mattison
Victoria, BC
dmattison at shaw.ca