[WEB4LIB] Related question about OpenURL resolvers

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Fri Jan 24 12:46:37 EST 2003

OpenURL resolvers can be used to localize links for institutions and
thus can be used to provide links authenticated using techniques
which rely on security-by-obscurity. In the design of an OpenURL
resolver system, there are a number of ways to integrate
authentication with link-localization; the choice made by the
designer has implications on the security policies that must be used
for the link-server.

In addition to authentication issues, there are non-disclosure issues
with some publishers which may or may not be spurious depending on
how much you pay your lawyer. As usual, technology races ahead of the
law.

In our system, we have made certain design choices that allow us to
be relatively free with baseURL's, however there are tradeoffs, and I
wouldn't say that designers who have chosen differently are wrong to
have done so.

Eric

--

Eric Hellman, President                            Openly Informatics, Inc.
eric at openly.com                                    2 Broad St., 2nd Floor