[WEB4LIB] RE: Opera 7.0 released

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Jan 30 09:08:33 EST 2003

At 06:27 AM 1/30/2003, Ian Winship wrote:

> > For all you browser fans, Opera 7.0 has been officially
> > released.
>
>I like Opera and use it routinely, but 7.0 still doesn't get over my big
>problem - sites that are designed only for IE or Netscape.
>Often there are features I don't know exist, as I can't see them with Opera,
>because of Javascript problems (and having 'Report Javascript errors' on is
>a nuisance and doesn't really tell me anything intelligible ) or services I
>can't login to because the authentication doesn't support Opera.
>
>Maybe one day?

Maybe one day...what?  Maybe Opera's support for Javascript will be
essentially compliant with published and/or de facto standards?  They've
taken a step in that direction.  I'm not qualified to say how big a step,
but in my experience, Opera doesn't say they've improved support unless
they've actually done it.

Maybe web d3z1ners will realize that coding for only one or two browsers
(with specific features enabled), and leaving everyone else out to
dry--tacitly blaming them for the designer's own incompetence--is an
efficient way to lose users/clients/customers?  One can only hope.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu