[WEB4LIB] Re: Jaws Web Page readers' comments?

Richard Wiggins rich at richardwiggins.com
Wed Sep 25 20:11:30 EDT 2002

Forgive the late reply to this, but recently I arranged a demonstration with
Michael Hudson, who heads the Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities
at Michigan State.  Mike is severely visually impaired and has used talker
technology since 1986.  He uses JAWS and finds it the best tool to meet his
needs.

We had about 20 folks who navigate visually observing as Mike navigated a
set of university sites (including some of our own) demonstrating how things
work -- and don't work -- for him as he used JAWS.

It was quite literally eye-opening for all involved.  I strongly suggest to
anyone who is trying to build accessible pages that they do a similar
exercise.  WATCH as someone uses talker technology to navigate.  You can't
appreciate all the subtleties by running Bobby.

Mike runs the talker at 55% of possible speed.  No one in the room could
follow at that rate.  He dialed it down to 35% and the rest of us were then
able to follow.  :-)

/rich

Chris Murphy wrote:

> We use JAWS (Job Assistant for Windows Software) on our Assistive
Technology
href="http://mail.richardwiggins.com//jump/http://www.thecommunitylibrary.org/reference/atw.html">http://www.thecommunitylibrary.org/reference/atw.html</a>).

> Although JAWS is reasonably useful for reading web pages, I find it
somewhat
> weak at translating HTML not optimized for accessibility (e.g., tables used
> for
> layout). I demo'd IBM's Home Page Reader and found it better at presenting
> information in tables, for example.
>
> We chose JAWS based on our visits with staff from the Idaho Commission for
> the
> Blind, many of whom are blind and use JAWS in the workplace. We wanted
> reader
> software that could be used with word processors and spreadsheets as well
as
> browsers, and JAWS fit that bill. JAWS has a steep learning curve for
> newbies,
> but it is probably the most widely used reader.
>
> JAWS does not get used often on our workstation, and our magnification
tools
> are
> used more frequently. Most of its use is for demonstration, often to blind
> or
> visually impaired people who come to check it out before deciding whether
> purchase it for themselves.
>
> For more information on designing accessible web pages, check out the
WebAIM
href="http://mail.richardwiggins.com//jump/http://www.webaim.org">http://www.webaim.org</a>. Their mailing list

href="http://mail.richardwiggins.com//jump/http://www.thecommunitylibrary.org">http://www.thecommunitylibrary.org</a>