[WEB4LIB] Jaws Web Page readers' comments?

Chris Murphy chrism at thecommunitylibrary.org
Wed Sep 4 11:17:13 EDT 2002

We use JAWS (Job Assistant for Windows Software) on our Assistive Technology
Workstation (http://www.thecommunitylibrary.org/reference/atw.html).

Although JAWS is reasonably useful for reading web pages, I find it somewhat
weak at translating HTML not optimized for accessibility (e.g., tables used for
layout). I demo'd IBM's Home Page Reader and found it better at presenting
information in tables, for example.

We chose JAWS based on our visits with staff from the Idaho Commission for the
Blind, many of whom are blind and use JAWS in the workplace. We wanted reader
software that could be used with word processors and spreadsheets as well as
browsers, and JAWS fit that bill. JAWS has a steep learning curve for newbies,
but it is probably the most widely used reader.

JAWS does not get used often on our workstation, and our magnification tools are
used more frequently. Most of its use is for demonstration, often to blind or
visually impaired people who come to check it out before deciding whether to
purchase it for themselves.

For more information on designing accessible web pages, check out the WebAIM
(Web Accessibility In Mind) site: http://www.webaim.org. Their mailing list is
information rich, although very busy. (I had to unsubscribe because I could not
keep up with the messages.)

If you would like more information, let me know.

Best regards,

Chris Murphy

--
Christopher Murphy