[WEB4LIB] Joe Janes on Google

perkins m mperkins at rohan.sdsu.edu
Tue Sep 24 14:30:04 EDT 2002

Whenever listening to anything Joe Janes says it is good to remember that
he is fond of saying that "bibliographic instruction is like teaching pigs
to sing; it doesn't work, and you just piss off the pigs".  This attitude
towards end users coupled with an overconfidence in technology can lead to
questionable conclusions.  Google's goals are the same as any search
engine; to get as many people as possible to use it and to use those
numbers to sell advertising and preferential ranking of search results.
Helping people find information is simply a means to this end, not a goal.
If the profit goal is not met, Google will go away.

Mike Perkins
San Diego State University