[WEB4LIB] RE: Problem with XiY.net

Raymond Wood raywood at magma.ca
Thu Sep 19 12:27:41 EDT 2002

> > From: Ebenezer, Catherine
> > > Dear Web4Lib cognoscenti
> > >
> > > For the last year we have used XiY.net as our URL
> > > forwarding service, giving us the address
> > > http://slamlibrary.xiy.net instead of the very
> > > user-hostile
> > > http://stlis.thenhs.com/hln/s_london/lsw/main/index.htm.
> > > For the last week the XiY.net site has been down, and
> > > nothing appears to be being done about it. I have sent
> > > messages to postmaster at xiy.net and support at xiy.net without
> > > effect or response. I can obviously change to a different
> > > URL forwarding service (and re-do our library
> > > screensavers, consortium directory listings, publicity,
> > > and search engine submissions--boring) but has anyone got
> > > any bright ideas as to what I can do to stop people going
> > > into a 'black hole' at http://slamlibrary.xiy.net!!!
> > >
> > > Help please!
> > >
> > > Catherine

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 07:22:50AM -0700, Drew, Bill remarked:
> Seems to me that the setup of your webserver could help in
> simplifying your address.  Talk to your person running the
> webserver.
>
> Bill Drew

Bill is right about this.  This is a web server configuration
issue (and a simple one at that).

Is it just me, or do librarians in general seem to prefer to
flock to these various 'web services', instead of just learning
enough about any given technology to do the job better in-house?

One has to wonder at the wisdom of continuing to rely on others'
services, instead of steadily learning how to use various
technologies intelligently ourselves...

Cheers,
Raymond