[WEB4LIB] Re: Legit Internet Use

Scott Furciniti sfurciniti at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 17 18:55:02 EDT 2002

We use the following approach at Roswell Public
Library.

We have 12 Public Internet/Office Application machines
that are controlled by EnvisionWare's PC Reservation.
Users are allowed 1 hour once per day on these
machines. If no one is in the que when their session
ends they get additional 5-minute increments until
someone else joins the que. They have full MS Office,
Internet access, games, chat, e-mail, porno, whatever.
 On the desktops of these machines we have links to
our subscribed databases.  So, we are least bringing
them to the users attention in that manner.

We have another 12 machines that serve as
OPAC/Database machines.  The only application on these
machines is Internet Explorer in kiosk mode.  The home
page is for these machines is
http://www.roswellpubliclibrary.org/OPAC.htm; the menu
on this page gives access to our WebCat and to our
subscribed databases and one or two library selected
sites. We use IE's built in phony proxy trick to keep
folks from browsing too far outside of these
databases. These machines are not controlled by PC
Reservation software.  Users can utilize them to their
heart's content.

The first set of machines is by far the most popular
with our patrons.  There are ALWAYS available machines
in the second set.

Best regards,
Scott Furciniti
Systems Administrator