[WEB4LIB] managed collection of sites

Bill Teschek bteschek at hampton.lib.nh.us
Tue Sep 17 12:29:16 EDT 2002

Robin,
   I don't think a technological fix is necessary. A "couple of kids
accessing porn sites" is not a major problem. It can be dealt with by
simple disciplinary measures (kick 'em out, don't let them use the
computers for x number of days, etc.). Treat it as a behavior
problem no different from kids behaving badly in other ways. We've
done that at our library and any problems that do occur don't happen
again more than a time or two.

One minor technological fix I've used is a free pop-up ad killer called
POW from analogx.com. You build a "kill list" of ads or websites that
you don't want to open. Trying to open them just causes the window
to flash open quickly then go right away. If your teens have found a
favorite porn site that they like to access, add it to the kill list and
they won't be able to get at it any more.

Bill Teschek
Assistant Director
Lane Memorial Library
Hampton, NH