Netscape 7 and stylesheet on III server

Bob Duncan duncanr at mail.lafayette.edu
Tue Sep 17 11:07:13 EDT 2002

Greetings,

[Cross-posted to Web4Lib and innopacusers lists]

We're having a problem with Netscape 7 (and Beonex Communicator) not
finding/recognizing stylesheets on our III server.  No other browsers
tested appear to have any problems finding stylesheets on this server, and
Netscape 7 has no problem finding copies of the same stylesheets when
they're on servers other than the III box.

We are calling the stylesheets with the link element and have tried
absolute as well as relative values for the href attribute, but Netscape 7
will not recognize any stylesheets on the III box (inline styles are
recognized fine).  Behavior is consistent regardless of where the calling
page resides.  (Note to III users:  this is just a plain old stylesheet
used to format Web pages;  it has nothing to do with a wwwoption stylesheet
used to format WebPAC output.)

Is there something about a stylesheet that Netscape 7 expects to see that
the III server is not providing?

One possible clue:  using IE6, if I access the stylesheet directly on the
III box, the browser handles it by attempting to render it to the
screen.  Using IE6, if I access a copy of the stylesheet directly on a
non-III server, the file opens in my stylesheet editor. (My Windows file
types settings call for anything with an extension of "css" and MIME type
of "text/css" to be opened in my stylesheet editor application).

Any idea what's happening here? (Feel free to visit
<http://www.library.lafayette.edu/> with Netscape 7 to see if your
experience mirrors ours.)  Could this be an issue of the III server not
correctly identifying the file lafayette.css with the proper mime type?

Thanks,

Bob Duncan

Robert E. Duncan
Systems Librarian