99.9% of websites obsolete

Richard Harrison Richard_Harrison at mindspring.com
Sat Sep 14 10:39:40 EDT 2002

Hi, All,

I see much of this as the latest battle in the constant war between the desire
to subscribe to wonderful, new, normative models and practical considerations of
allocating limited resources. The normative ideal of creating consistent,
indefinitely extensible structure and content under universal standards promises
to reduce costs for support, maintenance, and new development and to ensure
entirely general inclusion of all users. The recognition that the target
community is not yet globally prepared to receive pages formulated under the
strictures of the current ideal demands decisions as to the degree of
multiplicity which the provider can afford to offer. We operate currently in a
highly transitional state. The web is still tremendously immature as a subset of
a relatively young applied technology discipline, i.e., information science and
engineering.

Much of the current debate reflects our discomfort at being required to relegate
the interests of some potential customers to the category "marginal." We know
that it is often required, because we are too few in number to serve everyone
equally, but that does not make the determination pleasantly palatable.

Let's recognize that, for the most part, the level of our intent to serve is
similarly high. That some of us have access to greater resources is merely a
fact of local economics. We'll all grow together as standards evolve and become
increasingly accepted by browser manufacturers. As more users adopt browsers
compliant with modern standards, much of our "problem" will vanish. In the mean
time, lists such as this provide a forum in which to seek and share solutions
and express sympathy and support in a practically productive fashion.

Best Regards,
<geek>Richard</geek>

"The problem in the main is not that humans don't know anything but that they
'know' so much that's wrong."