[WEB4LIB] medLib-medical libraries on the Internet.

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Sun Sep 22 09:07:39 EDT 2002

Checked your website, and did not see listed the three large collections
of medical library sites which are the ones most used by most of the
medical librarians I know.

Medical / Health Science Libraries on the Web (Hardin Library, University
of Iowa):
<http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/hslibs.html>

International Medical Libraries Webring:
<http://www.glenlib.demon.co.uk/medlib/>

National Network of Libraries of Medicine:
<http://www.nnlm.nlm.nih.gov/>
  NOTE: Includes library contact information, profile, collection
description, and policies for loaning or borrowing to unaffiliated users.
US only.

I would say that your related websites section bears a striking
resemblance to the related source section in the Hardin site, virtually
identical wording and punctuation. Certainly ought to include them. Eric
has been maintaining his list for at least 5-7 years, and it appears at
the top of the Google search for "medical libraries".

Personally, I find it a bit odd that the name for your site (MedLib) is
the name of the listserv for medical librarians from the early 90s, which
is still extremely active today. Since you link to it, you obviously know
that the name has been used for a long time. Can't imagine why you would
choose a name which is already branded with another group.

Patricia Anderson, pfa at umich.edu
P. F. Anderson, University of Michigan, Dentistry Library, pfa at umich.edu
1100 Dental Bldg, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1078 <www.lib.umich.edu/dentlib/>
"Tommy sat down next to Jonathan and reached for the keyboard -- and Mary
Kay took it away from them both. "This is my pidgin," she said firmly, and
they relinquished it. (Mary Kay is one of the secret masters of the world:
a librarian. They control information. Don't ever piss one off.)"
Spider Robinson, _The Callahan Touch_ , p. 64.