[WEB4LIB] Re: Representation of a number.

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Wed Sep 11 12:24:31 EDT 2002

At 12:00 PM 9/11/2002, Nancy Sosna Bohm wrote:
>Just in case you don't already know, viruses are being sent from your
>account.
>
>on 9/11/02 10:17 AM, tdowling at tdowling at ohiolink.edu wrote:

I plead ignorance (this comes naturally to me) - whatever Nancy received, I
don't think it was from me, nor did it seem to be a Web4Lib post.

Two reminders: first, the listproc on the Berkeley SunSite strips MIME
attachments, so anything that appears to be a virus did not come through
the list.  Second, e-mail viruses are very adept at forging mail headers to
make it appear that a message came from someone you know, or at least to
disguise where it really did come from.  Whenever you receive a suspicious
message, you should check the complete mail headers.  If someone's From
address is something at ohiolink.edu but the Received headers only show a
route through scriptkiddies.com or something similar, it may be fair to
assume the message was forged.  And of course, anything received from
Web4Lib should have sunsite.berkeley.edu in the Received headers.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu