[WEB4LIB] Comparing search engines

Patricia F Anderson pfa at umich.edu
Wed Sep 11 11:49:35 EDT 2002

Not current (we are writing a book at the moment which is based on this
research), but here it is:

Megasite Project
<http://www.lib.umich.edu/megasite/99srch.html>

We tested 26 general search engines and  26 health  search engines with  4
questions (2 consumer, 2 professional / 2 simple, 2 complex). Questions
and core data given on the  site. Article was published as:

Anderson PF, Allee N. 2000. The Quality Connection: Health Information
Megasites  and Search Engines. In: Guide to Health Care on the Internet,
Chapter 12: Ensuring the  Quality of Health Care Information on the Net.
Faulkner and  Gray, 2000, 159-188.

There are similar articles in a variety of domains, but most of what I've
seen test  fewer engines with fewer questions. I was very happy with the
design of our questions, as they allowed a number of interesting
permutations in searching (phrase, keywork, single concept, multiple
concept, prioritizing concepts, concepts which are also acronyms with
other popular meanings, etc.)

Patricia Anderson, UM Dentistry Library, pfa at umich.edu
<http://www.lib.umich.edu/dentlib/>
<http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pfa/pro/>